The Journal of Seventeenth-Century Music (JSCM) is published
by the Society for Seventeenth-Century Music to provide a refereed
forum for scholarly studies of the musical cultures of the seventeenth century.
These include historical and archival studies, performance practice, music
theory, aesthetics, dance and theater. The JSCM also publishes critical
reviews and summary listings of recently published books, scores, recordings,
and electronic media.
VOLUME 7 (2001) NUMBER 1
Table of Contents
- FRANCO BRUNI. Stampe musicali italiane alla cattedrale di Malta:
Storia e catalogo della collezione (ACM, Mus. Pr. 1-159). Gwann,
Malta: Publishers Enterprises Group [distributed by Lucca: LIM Editrice],
1999. Reviewed by Anne Schnoebelen.
- ROBERT SHAY and ROBERT THOMPSON. Purcell Manuscripts: The
Principal Musical Sources. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press,
2000. Reviewed by Rebecca Herissone.
- TIM CARTER. Music, Patronage, and Printing in Late Renaissance
Florence.Variorum Collected Studies Series CS682. Aldershot: Ashgate,
2000. TIM CARTER. Monteverdi and his Contemporaries. Variorum
Collected Studies Series CS690. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2000. Reviewed
by Kelley Harness.
- JUKKA SARJALA. Music, Morals, and the Body: An Academic
Issue in Turku, 1653-1808. Studia Historica 65. Helsinki: Suomalaisen
Kirjallisuuden Seura--Finnish Literature Society, 2001. Reviewed
by Inna Naroditskaya.
CRITICAL EDITIONS OF MUSIC
- Vingt et une suites pour le clavecin de Johann Jacob Froberger
et dautres auteurs; Dresden, Sächsische Landesbibliothek, Ms.
1-T-595 (Strasbourg, 1675). Edited by Rudolf Rasch. Convivium Musicum
5. Stuttgart: Carus-Verlag, 2000. Reviewed
by Bruce Gustafson.
- MELCHIOR FRANCK. Paradisus Musicus. Edited by Martin Philip
Setchell. Recent Researches in the Music of the Baroque Era,
106. Madison: A-R Editions, 2000. Reviewed
by Arne Spohr.
- HENRY PURCELL. The Fairy Queen & The Prophetess: Orchestral
Suites. Le Concert des Nations, directed by Jordi Savall.
Audivis, 1997. Reviewed by Andrew R. Walkling.
BRIEFLY NOTED by Bruce Gustafson,
JSCM is permanently archived through LOCKSS, and the LOCKSS system has permission to collect, preserve, and serve this Archival Unit.
Copyright © 2001 by the Society for Seventeenth-Century
Music. Except as otherwise provided, the author of each article in this
issue has granted permission for paper or electronic copies of the textual
and graphical portions of that article to be made for classroom use, provided
that (1) copies are distributed at or below cost, (2) the author and the
Journal are identified, (3) proper notice of copyright is attached to
each copy, and (4) the Journal of Seventeenth-Century Music is notified
of the use.
Systems Administrator: John B. Howard
- Editor-in-Chief: Kerala J. Snyder
- Reviews Editor: Bruce Gustafson
- Technical Editor: Margaret Mikulska
- Editorial Assistant: Alexander J. Fisher
- Editorial Board:
- Linda Austern, Stewart A. Carter, Tim Carter, Wendy Beth Heller,
John Walter Hill, Jeffrey Kurtzman, Margaret Murata, Lois Rosow, Steven
E. Saunders, Alexander Silbiger, Christoph Wolff, Peter Wollny